Canada’s first flying club was one formed in Calgary by Freddie McCall in 1919 – it was short lived and the Calgary Aero Club was re-established in 1927.
Canada’s first licensed flying club was the Edmonton and Northern Alberta Flying Club, established in 1927. The club operated from Blatchford Field – then on the NW outskirts of the city – now downtown. The first President & Chief Flying Instructor was W.R. “Wop” May.
One of the first aircraft was a “Cirrus” Moth which still exists and is being kept in storage by the City of Edmonton.
On August 27, 2007 a commemorative flight took place to recognize the 80th anniversary of the formation of the Edmonton & Northern Alberta Aero Club and the 80th anniversary of the first flight into Blatchford Field in Edmonton. A special “picture post” stamp was produced using the original wings of the flying club, and a limited edition of 100 covers were carried on the first airmail flight between Edmonton’s Blatchford Field and the Cooking Lake Float Plane Base 20 miles SE of Edmonton. EFC Instructor Audrey Kahovec & Denny May (son of W.R. “Wop” May – founder & first president of the ENAAC) flew the EFC Cessna 172. The covers were actually flown in both directions. A few extra covers were produced (with double face cancels) as presentation items to the Edmonton Flying Club, the Alberta Aviation Museum, key volunteers and Postmaster signed covers were presented to the Edmonton Post Office and the South Cooking Cooking Lake Post Office.